Associate Construction Safety Specialist – 93028Organization: EH-Environ, Health, & Safety
Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory has a new opening for an Associate Construction Health & Safety Specialist in the Environment, Health & Safety Division (EHS, https://ehs.lbl.gov/) to provide field safety and asbestos, lead and air sampling in support of large-scale construction and maintenance projects. Safety support may include the areas of industrial hygiene, construction health and safety, subcontractor health and safety, maintenance health and safety, silica, excavations safety, fall protection, and ladder safety.
This is a great opportunity to work with an experienced Health & Safety team and play a role in ensuring the Laboratory mission and operations meet applicable health and safety requirements and work is performed safely across the Lab.
What You Will Do:
• Provide support for all Berkeley Lab subcontractors/vendors and internal customers, including for the Projects Infrastructure & Modernization Division construction and its construction subcontractors.
• Perform asbestos, lead and air sampling and hazardous materials characterization for future and ongoing construction projects, as well as provide associated data entry and report writing.
• Serve as the technical field construction health and safety professional providing occupational health and safety support and oversight for construction and maintenance projects.
• Implement programs and procedures to monitor contractor health and safety standards to ensure compliance with applicable OSHA, DOE and Laboratory health and safety standards.
• Conduct hazard evaluations and assessments and provide recommendations to prevent exposures to safety hazards.
• Review construction and maintenance projects to ensure hazards are identified and appropriate controls are implemented using the SBN system.
• Communicate the status of projects to the Construction and Maintenance Field Support Manager on a regular basis.
• Take a lead role in maintaining Construction Safety Program documents, policies and procedures, and provide a wide range of programs, including subcontractor outreach, initiatives to improve subcontractor safety, and safety talks at meetings.
What is Required:
• Bachelor’s degree and 3+ years of construction safety and/or industrial hygiene experience, or a combination of education and relevant work experience.
• Excellent written and verbal communications skills to interact with Facilities and EHS management/staff, project managers/superintendents, and subcontractors. Proven ability to build a consensus that supports desired actions.
• Demonstrated experience as a construction safety professional with demonstrated knowledge, understanding and experience applying OSHA, ANSI, and other related safety requirements/regulations in a wide variety of construction work environments.
• Experience in developing and delivering safety training.
• Proficiency with standard business software, including word processing, presentation software, and spreadsheets.
• Ability to perform the physical requirements of this position, including minor lifting (up to 25 lbs), wearing a wide-variety of personal protective equipment, frequent standing and walking, moving in confined spaces, climbing stairs, inspecting equipment requiring reaching with hands and arms, frequently stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
• Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST), Certified Safety Professional (CSP), or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH)
.• Certified Asbestos Consultant (CAC) and CDPH certifications for asbestos and lead oversight and sampling purposes.
• This is a full-time, 3-year Term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
• This is a field safety position and will require approximately 75% in all weather conditions as well as require extensive walking, climbing, working at various heights, work on construction sites with poor footing and other construction hazards.
• This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.• Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online HERE
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law.”