Heill Safety Solutions is seeking a qualified candidate to fill the role of SH&E Professional in Mountain View, California area for our client. This role will serve as a direct point of contact for various user group EHS needs and concerns within a wide variety of operations in a fast-paced R&D environment. Partnering with the various project teams, this position will provide direct support in the form of risk assessment, EHS process design, possible exposure monitoring, training, and program development and implementation. This position manages projects withR&D user groups and resources, develops and implements relevant EHS programs, delivers training, advises various stakeholder groups regarding EHS issues and considerations, and recommends appropriate actions and programs. Primary responsibility is to implement EHS programs specific to the client’s scientific and administrative community. An emphasis on Biosafety and IH is desired.
This position will provide guidance and manage EHS processes for user groups in our main and remote project locations. The SH&E Professional’s primary focus is to proactively create safety programs and processes, provide EHS project management, enhance the safety culture, and to provide accident and incident response. Responsibilities include:
- Developing, authoring, implementing, and monitoring EHS programs and policies to ensure compliance with federal, state, and local EHS regulations.
- Acting as the EHS technical resource to assigned user groups; providing guidance and expertise for moderate to complex situations, programs and processes that resolve stakeholder concerns.
- Performing risk assessments for processes and new equipment, ranking risks regarding relevant exposures and hazards, develop and present corrective solutions with options with an eye toward fiscal and operation considerations.
- Conducting safety inspections of workspaces and operations, and assessments for new technologies.
- Conducting training for EHS subjects as scheduled and deemed necessary.
- Conducting accident/incident investigations to identify root causes, developing, and proposing corrective solutions to prevent recurrence, and working with appropriate personnel to implement solutions.
- Identifying, evaluating, and resolving hazards and exposures that contribute to the reduction of occupational injury and illness exposures, liability, environmental and property damage expenses.
- Providing technical expertise and administrative support to user groups such as safety by-design, job safety/hazard analysis, and EHS practice integration into operations processes.
- Liaise and be the contact for regulatory agencies (OSHA, Cal/OSHA, etc) for assigned user groups.
- Overseeing and maintaining required regulatory and agency required paperwork and permits (i.e., OSHA logs, permits, etc.) in a timely manner, and preparing related documents for signature, as required.
- Establishing safety audit policies and ensure audits are conducted, as required, and developing corrective actions for any deficiencies uncovered during audits.
- Reviewing new chemicals and maintaining chemical inventory information to ensure accurate location allowable quantities for new project requests and activities.
- Supporting the chemical inventory process, waste streams and other required relevant data for permitting submittals (i.e., CERS, AQMD, DTSC, etc.).
- Evaluating and advising on the safety aspects of robotic systems and other engineering projects.
- Attending and participating in safety management meetings, as prescribed. Provide update on activities and serve as technical support.
- Recordkeeping for safety audits, training and EHS incidents
- Providing recommendations and data to senior managers to support decision making.
- Developing and measuring KPIs to assess EHS program effectiveness.
- Ensuring PPE is appropriate, available and in good-working condition for employee use.
- Coordinating with EHS teams and resources for compliance, recommendations, and support
Essential Skills, Knowledge, and Abilities
- BA/BS degree in safety (Masters preferred) or related field, with relevant previous experience (minimum 5 years) with demonstrated ability to perform independent work
- Experience in engineering, chemical and biological R&D environment desired.
- Strong project management skills to manage multiple projects simultaneously, multiple expert resources and maintain delivery of need EHS decision-making information and guidance.
- Demonstrated ability to lead, negotiate, recommend, and implement solutions for moderate to complex problems.
- Proficient verbal and written communication skills necessary to effectively collaborate in a team environment and to present and communicate technical information to all levels of management.
- Demonstrated analytical and decision-making skills with the ability to organize and effectively coordinate multiple and frequently conflicting, concurrent tasks, with good follow-through.
- Management multiple projects and coordinate resources with precision
- Ability to mature safety program into a safety culture.
- Ability to work independently as well as in a team in a fast-paced environment. Can execute assigned tasks autonomously and provide strategic guidance on development and implementation of processes.
- Be part of the emergency response team (ERT) and able to provide 1st aid / CPR / AED in medical event situations.
- High level of proficiency with computers and standard office software
- Understanding of common mechanical and electrical hazards; ability to comprehend those hazards during uncommon applications.
- Certification by the Board of Certified Safety Professionals (CSP), or similar.
- Experience with Google suite of tools (Chrome, Hangouts, Docs, Sheets, Slides, Gmail)
- Previous relevant experience in an R&D environment that is fast paced.
- Demonstrated familiarity with Cal/OSHA, OSHA, ANSI, NFPA, Robotics, Fall Protection,
- IIPP and other regulatory programs, and required regulatory and permitting paperwork.
Location, Travel, Schedule
- Headquarters – Mountain View, CA
- Travel, as required but anticipate <10%
- Daily schedule is somewhat flexible but anticipate 40 weekly hours with probable overtime potential based on operational tempo.
- Position available July 5th, 2021.
PLEASE SEND ALL INQUIRIES AND RESUMES TO DANDONOVAN@GEW-LLC.COM.