Department: City Administrator
Job class:6139-Senior Industrial Hygienist
Salary range: $145,470.00 – $190,164.00
Role type: Permanent Civil Service What does this mean?
Exam type: Position Based Test
Rule: Rule of 10 What does this mean?
List type: Combined Promotive and Entrance
Under general direction, the Senior Industrial Hygienist (Job Code: 6139) performs highly technical and complex occupational health and industrial hygiene work in the development, implementation, maintenance and enforcement of regulations, policies and programs in relation to the identification, evaluation, control and prevention of workplace hazards. The position functions as a first line supervisor and technical advisor providing expertise on occupational health and safety, related laws and regulations and emergency planning and response.
Examples of Important and Essential Duties:
- Develops, implements and maintains health and safety programs, including Injury and Illness Prevention, Asbestos, Lead, Silica, Respiratory Protection, Medical Monitoring, Hazard Communication, Hearing Conservation, Heat Illness Prevention, Infection Control, COVID-19 Prevention, Repetitive Motion Injury Prevention, Worksite Emergency Action Plan, etc.
- Develops and conducts health and safety trainings for employees, supervisors and managers in the Office of the City Administrator.
- Responds to industrial hygiene issues and recommends corrective actions.
- Supervises industrial hygiene, health and safety and support staff.
- Assists departments with implementing COVID-19 Prevention Program including employer contact tracing and close contact advisory notifications.
- Advises City and County of San Francisco Departments regarding emergency planning and preparedness.
- Performs administrative tasks related to enforcement of ordinances, codes and other regulations; provides consultations to departments regarding regulatory agency inspections; develops and manages a budget for programs or projects; and tracks corrective action plans to ensure effective implementation.
- Performs related duties as required.
How to qualify
Possession of a Master’s degree in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety and Health; Environmental Sciences, Health, or Management; or a closely related field from an accredited college or university.
Four (4) years of professional industrial hygiene experience, which must include at least one (1) year of journey level experience equivalent to the level of City and County of San Francisco classes 6138 Industrial Hygienist. Experience must have included professional industrial hygiene activities including either hazardous materials management or identification, evaluation, and control of occupational health hazards.
License and Certification:
Possession of a valid driver’s license; if not a California driver’s license ability to obtain a California Driver’s License within 45 days of hire. AND
Certification by the American Board of Industrial Hygiene as a Certified Industrial Hygienist in the Comprehensive Practice of Industrial Hygiene.
Possession of a baccalaureate degree with major coursework in Industrial Hygiene, Occupational Safety and Health; Environmental Sciences, Health, or Management; or a closely related field from an accredited college or university; AND two (2) additional years of experience (six (6) years total) as described above may substitute for the required education and experience.
- One-year full-time employment is considered equivalent to 2000 hours (2000 hours of qualifying work experience is based on a 40 hour work week). Any overtime hours that you work above forty (40) hours per week are not included in the calculation to determine full-time employment.
- Applicants must meet minimum qualification requirements by the final filing date unless otherwise noted.
The stated desirable qualifications may be used to identify job finalists at the end of the selection process when candidates are referred for hiring.
- Certification as a Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Experience as a safety professional
For more information and to apply, please go to https://apptrkr.com/4550001