Construction Health & Safety Professional at Berkeley Lab’s
Construction Health & Safety Professional – 84738
Organization: EH-Environ, Health, & Safety
Berkeley Lab’s Environment, Health, & Safety Division (EHS, http://www2.lbl.gov/ehs/) has an opening for a Construction Health & Safety Professional responsible for providing customer service-based technical support to solve complex construction design review and EHS program related issues. In this role, you will report to the Health and Safety Operations Support Team Leader and provide project design review and safety support for all complex construction projects, subcontractor field work, and consult in many subject matter areas including, but not limited to: industrial hygiene, construction health and safety, subcontractor health and safety, maintenance health and safety, excavations safety, fall protection, ladder safety, etc.
- Serve as the EHS Project Team Lead for assigned projects throughout the lifecycle of the construction project.
- Serve as the EHS Design Review Lead for all EHS elements in Design Review process.
- Coordinate EHS multi-disciplinary teams in support of high hazard reviews, Facilities’ design and construction projects, safety inspections, self-assessments, committee meetings, and assists in accident investigations.
- Review plans, design specifications, drawings, etc. in all planned new facilities and renovations to existing facilities with regard to safety.
- Make recommendations in concert with other departments that will help maintain compliance with federal, state and local fire, health, and safety regulations and codes that will achieve the optimal control or reduction of hazards and exposures while maintaining budgetary constraints.
- Review subcontractors Site Specific Safety Plans (SSSPs) before work starts and apply professional judgment and expertise to verify that adequate forethought is given to each phase of construction and that the proposed work plan meets safety regulations.
- Participate in Project Reviews and DOE Critical Decision Reviews.
- Partner with subcontractors to familiarize them with LBNL’s safety and industrial hygiene expectations and to provide guidance to steer their safety management of ongoing and upcoming activities in the proper direction.
- Perform complex health and safety field measurements and hazard evaluations.
- Provide leadership to less experienced health and safety professionals and technicians through work assignments, monitoring schedules, and/or resolving problems.
- Make recommendations and presentations based on accepted health and safety scientific methodology.
- Recommend, develop, and implement programs, policies, and procedures for monitoring and preventing chemical, physical and biological hazards and diseases present in the organization’s work areas.
- Develop and conduct employee training and hazardous materials communications programs. Ensures that quality control procedures are implemented according to all regulations.
- Write technical reports based on the expert interpretation of data, observations, and current regulations.• Provide assurance that day-to-day work, operations, and activities in assigned area(s) and activities are conducted safely and within established work authorizations.
- Represent the Berkeley Lab in interactions with DOE, regulators, peers at other facilities, clients, and management.
What is Required:
- Bachelor’s Degree and a minimum of 5 years of relevant Occupational Safety or Industrial Hygiene experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience in the detection and control of hazards involved with technologies in a research environment.
- Experience reviewing master specifications, contract documents, blueprints, designs, RFIs, submittals, and other relevant construction documents.
- Direct experience in applying OSHA, DOE, ANSI and other related health and safety requirements / regulations in a wide variety of construction or other work environments.
- Ability to work under short-term deadlines and constrained budgets, while managing several different projects concurrently.
- Excellent written, verbal, interpersonal, negotiating, and customer service oriented skills with experience interfacing with various regulatory organizations.
- Demonstrated problem solving, decision making, and conflict resolution skills with the ability to manage sensitive issues and difficult people.
- Proficiency with standard business software, including word processing, presentation software, and spreadsheets.
- Must be able to perform the physical requirements of this position including field activity involving the following:
– Minor lifting (up to 25 lbs).
– Frequent standing and walking.
– Moving in confined spaces.
– Climbing stairs.
– Inspecting equipment requiring reaching with hands, arms, and using hands to handle or feel.
– Frequently stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl.
Additional Desired Qualifications:
- Advanced graduate degree.
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH).
The posting shall remain open until the position is filled, however for full consideration, please apply by close of business on April 10, 2018.
- This is a full time, 1 year, term appointment with the possibility of extension or conversion to Career appointment based upon satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of funds and ongoing operational needs.
- Full-time, M-F, exempt (monthly paid) from overtime pay.
- Salary is commensurate with experience.
- Salary Range: $8,282 – $11,388 monthly.
- This position may be subject to a background check. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they directly relate to the responsibilities and requirements of the position. Having a conviction history will not automatically disqualify an applicant from being considered for employment.
- Work will be primarily performed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply directly online at http://184.108.40.206/counter.php?id=126924 and follow the on-line instructions to complete the application process.
Learn About Us:
Berkeley Lab (LBNL, http://www.lbl.gov/) addresses the world’s most urgent scientific challenges by advancing sustainable energy, protecting human health, creating new materials, and revealing the origin and fate of the universe. Founded in 1931, Berkeley Lab’s scientific expertise has been recognized with 13 Nobel prizes. The University of California manages Berkeley Lab for the U.S. Department of Energy’s Office of Science.
Working at Berkeley Lab has many rewards including a competitive compensation program, excellent health and welfare programs, a retirement program that is second to none, and outstanding development opportunities. To view information about the many rewards that are offered at Berkeley Lab visit https://commons.lbl.gov/display/hr/Benefits.
Equal Employment Opportunity: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability, age, or protected veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision under 41 CFR 60-1.4 (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/pdf/EO13665_PrescribedNondiscriminationPostingLanguage_JRFQA508c.pdf). Click here (http://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf) to view the poster: “Equal Employment Opportunity is the Law”.