EHS Specialist – Tesla Inc.
Reporting to the Sr. EHS Manager – The Americas, the EHS Specialist, Automotive Sales, Delivery & Service (SSD) is responsible for influencing operations excellence, managing regulatory compliance and driving overall risk reduction, aimed at driving EHS excellence throughout the Automotive SSD operations in The Americas. This position will ensure world class process standards are met and sustained across Automotive SSD operations in the Americas. The position will interface with Automotive SSD operations leadership, front line operations staff as well as other related teams within Tesla, and will drive and support continuous improvement throughout Automotive SSD operations. This position will develop a strategy to implement and drive EHS policies, programs and procedures across Automotive SSD operations in the Americas with a balance between strategic and tactical considerations. This position is based in the United States (US) and will support Automotive SSD operations in the United States, Canada and Mexico.
- Develops and nurtures a partnership with and is a key advisor to leadership, EHS representatives, and front line staff within Automotive SSD operations. Directly or indirectly provides information and tools to allow Automotive SSD operations personnel to drive EHS excellence every day.
- Ensures key risks and compliance requirements pertaining to environmental compliance, occupational health and industrial safety are identified, escalated and controlled in all phases of automotive product sales, delivery and service operations. Keeps abreast of any changes to laws and regulations that impact the organization.
- Interfaces with various regulatory agencies as necessary. Hosts, documents, and tracks regulatory audits and inspections.
- Collaborate with engineering, field operations, and other key teams on complex technical projects, and provide support and technical expertise on operations design and safe work procedures.
- Recruits, and trains EHS representatives to embed best EHS practices in day to day operations, conduct workplace inspections, participate in EHS sponsored initiatives, drives continuous improvement using tools such as the Find-It Fix-It campaign, and support emergency preparedness and response activities.
- Supports L.I.F.E. and high-potential incident investigations and the creation and completion of key actions from investigation learnings.
- Conducts and/or reviews risk assessments, job hazard analyses and provides advice on safety improvements.
- Identifies, implements and manages vendor-led services for environmental compliance, waste management, personal protective equipment, training etc.
- Manages waste streams with industry-specific knowledge of hazardous waste disposal and transportation regulations and requirements.
- Facilitates the creation of emergency action plans for responding to emergencies.
- Provides training to employees on general industrial safety, hazard recognition and control, injury prevention and other relevant topics.
- Analyzes data and reports trends, recommends and supports risk-reduction plans and corrective and preventive actions.
- Facilitate safety committee meetings and other employee engagement initiatives.
- Supports operations at Tesla-operated premises as well as remote locations.
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health and Safety, Public Health, Industrial Hygiene, or other Safety-related discipline, Engineering, Chemistry, Natural Sciences or similar. Master’s degree preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in high tech industry or similar environment. Prior experience working with electric vehicles, charging products or infrastructure, vehicle delivery or service operations preferred.
- Certifications such as ASP, CSP, CHMM, CPE, CIH preferred.
- Superior knowledge of OSHA, ANSI, NFPA and EPA regulations and standards.
- Practical, hands-on experience with the following:
- Electrical / high voltage safety
- Supporting operations across multiple sites
- Workplace inspections
- Process safety reviews
- Risk assessments
- Root cause analysis methodologies
- Experience with employee training and education activities.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills, and interpersonal skills. Able to influence and communicate effectively with management, EHS leaders, regulators, project management staff and 3rd party clients and suppliers.
- Ability to work effectively and efficiently under pressure and self-directed.
- Well organized with meticulous attention to detail.
- Proficiency with standard business software, including word processing, presentations, spreadsheets and email communication.
- Ability and willingness to travel up to 30%.