- April 14, 2021
1:30 pm - 2:30 pm
The National Ignition Facility (NIF) is the size of a sports stadium—three football fields could fit inside. NIF’s unique energy and power enable cutting-edge research to help keep America safe and secure, explore new frontiers of science, and lay the groundwork for a clean, sustainable source of energy.
NIF is the world’s most precise and reproducible laser system. It precisely guides, amplifies, reflects, and focuses 192 powerful laser beams into a target about the size of a pencil eraser in a few billionths of a second, delivering more than 2 million joules of ultraviolet energy and 500 trillion watts of peak power.
NIF generates temperatures in the target of more than 180 million degrees Fahrenheit and pressures of more than 100 billion Earth atmospheres. Those extreme conditions cause hydrogen atoms in the target to fuse and release energy in a controlled thermonuclear reaction.
- Virtual tours are approximately one hour
- Attendees must keep their electronic devices on “mute” for the duration of the tour
- Questions can be submitted using the “chat” function
- Any recording of the tour including discussions or screenshots is strictly prohibited
- Do not forward the WebEx invitation
We encourage participants to watch the below video clips prior to their tour:
- How NIF Works: https://youtu.be/yixhyPN0r3g
- NIF Multimedia page: https://lasers.llnl.gov/media
- What goes into a shot? https://youtu.be/_5CisML8Q7I
After your registration, we will be sending you a meeting invite with Webex Login information for this virtual tour a week prior to the event.