Construction Health & Safety Consultant/Trainer – SCM Safety
Posted: Jun 01, 2020
Consult with organizations throughout the Bay Area and beyond in issues related to Occupational Health and Safety (OHS). This includes reviewing and helping to draft site health and safety plans, assisting in contractor/sub-contractor safety management, conducting site inspections/audits, facilitating safety meetings, interfacing with regulators, and leading incident investigations.
Occasionally assist with OHS management consulting in other industries as well, as appropriate.
Deliver engaging training on a variety of OHS topics to employees at client sites at all levels within the client organizations. Assist in the development of training materials.
Works out of a central office but is in the field the majority of the time servicing clients. The majority of travel is within the greater San Francisco Bay Area, with some travel to the rest of California and occasionally outside of California. When not otherwise assigned to field work, works in the central office on assigned projects.
Work hours vary depending upon client needs, although most work is within the normal work week. Responds to internal (SCM) and external (client) communications in a timely fashion, including occasionally during non-business hours, as needed. Communicates with clients fluently in English and Spanish.
Reports to Operations Manager. Often works alone in the field but occasionally works with other service providers to deliver services to clients. But always works as part of a greater team of service providers and admin/logistical support providers to deliver high quality service.
Safety Compliance Management, Inc. (SCM) is a family-owned business that has been the premier provider of occupational health and safety consulting and training services in a variety of industries since 1991. We hold ourselves to high standards and are always looking for ways to improve our ability to provide the highest quality services to our clients. We believe our role is to support our clients in doing what they do, and we do that by knowing our stuff, being professional, and caring about doing the right thing. We tell people what they need to hear, not what they want to hear, and we insist on being able to back up what we say with evidence.
However, we live by the mantra that we take what we do seriously, but we don’t take ourselves seriously. We have fun doing what we do. We are true team and we care for one another. Our people are what make us great so we do what we can to support them.
SCM values diversity and is an equal opportunity employer.
Our Ideal Candidate
Our ideal candidate is a self-starter who is passionate about bringing value to organizations they work with. They are able to deal with ambiguous situations and identify what is required of them to meet project goals. They are very knowledgeable in construction occupational health and safety and in how to deliver effective training, but is continually driven to learn and improve themselves. They are ethical, responsible, and take ownership of the projects they are assigned to. They are organized and detail oriented. They are skilled in communicating to a variety of audiences.
Desired, Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Attributes
- Ability to self-start in ambiguous situations
- Knowledge of the construction industry
- Knowledge of Cal/OSHA and other applicable regulations, particularly in the construction industry
- Ability to deliver engaging, effective training to a variety of audiences
- Knowledge of human performance and systems thinking principles
- Ability to do research to support their recommendations and conclusions
- Ability to understand and prioritizes client needs
- Ability to develop timely responses to client and internal requests, even during off hours, as needed
- Ability to adjust project plan as needed to changing conditions/client needs
- Ability to use technology (computer, email, Microsoft office) as needed
- Is appropriately organized and detail oriented
- Ability to work effectively as a team player
- Dresses and acts professionally based upon the context they are in
- Ability to read situations and adjust approach
- Ability to use good professional and ethical judgment
- Manages time appropriately
- Takes ownership and responsibility for their work
- Is driven to succeed/ambitious
- Minimum five years demonstrated, verifiable experience in a construction safety role
- Construction Health and Safety Technician (CHST) certification, or equivalent education, experience, and certification (https://www.bcsp.org/safety-certifications/chst)
- Fluent in reading, writing, and speaking English and Spanish
- Competitive salary based on the types of services the candidate can provide to our clients
- Employee bonus program
- Medical, dental, and life insurance
- Vacation and sick time
- Employer matching retirement plan
- Flex time
- Paid mileage for travel (or other travel costs, as appropriate)
- Paid continuing education and professional memberships
To apply send a resume to email@example.com