ROBOTICS SAFETY CONSULTANT – MENLO PARK, CA
Posted: Oct 14, 2019
Please contact Natasha Kelso and apply here
Major Functions of the job include:
- Spend time onsite with clients throughout the Silicon Valley and the Bay Area to help solve their most pressing Robotics related challenges.
- Serve as the ERM subject matter expert on all environmental, health and safety activities related to Robotics. Serve as a technical resource to clients in complex areas of EHS compliance and risk management regarding Robotics.
- Conduct Product Safety Risk Assessments for stationary, mobile and collaborative robots.
- Identify and evaluate hazardous conditions and practices within the workplace; conduct and coordinate on-site inspections to audit physical conditions and safe work practices (in accordance with robot safety RIA R15.06 Robot Safety Standards).
- Direct the design and implementation of Robotics-related environmental, safety, and health (EHS) programs for ERM and our clients that achieve and maintain compliance, and minimize the risk of injury and illness.
- Will support and perform various safety analyses at the system, hardware and software level. Will collaborate with design teams in the design of effective technical solutions aimed to achieve adequate robustness at systems, hardware and software architectural level.
- Respond to and investigate Robotics related emergencies, incidents and accidents.
- Work cross-functionally with teams to perform and complete Safety & Compliance requirements for equipment/product design.
- Must be able to interpret and apply regulations, standards and internal requirements to new robotics technologies/products.
- Experience reviewing robotic equipment, including conveyance and machinery for proper guarding, interlocks and safety features.
- Provide Safety & Compliance input during “product scoping” to identify concerns for operators interacting with the equipment.
- Evaluate and review schematics and drawings providing Safety & Compliance input during product development/early design.
- Assist the world’s most innovative companies develop and deliver world class safety solutions to complex technical and regulatory issues and concerns and their performance improvement needs.
- Understand how your work affects our clients’ business objectives and help them achieve these objectives.
- H&S programs and strategies in the areas of behavior-based safety, robotics, auditing for compliance, safety management systems, process safety and risk management, high-impact training, and compliance support.
- Support our clients desire to improve their safety performance by providing training, field coaching, and targeted EHS assessments.
- Provide expert insight to plan and implement environmental, health and safety policies and procedures in compliance with company, local, state, and federal environmental health and safety regulations
- Manage a variety of projects to achieve scope, budget and schedule targets while ensuring we meet and exceed our clients expectations on deliverables.
- Build client relationships and nurture repeat business by continuously striving to exceed their expectations.
- Work with various project teams to effectively delegate assignments, and act as a mentor to more junior staff members. Train the next generation of health and safety leaders!
- Build a network within and outside of ERM that will enable you to leverage your skills and solve challenging multi-disciplinary client challenges.
- BS/MS in Robotics, Engineering, Safety, Computer Science, or a related discipline.
- 7+ years relevant experience in working with significant private-sector clients on regulatory compliance and sustainable H&S compliance programs, with emphasis on robotics, industrial automation, and mechanical equipment safety including PHAs/THAs.
- Certification in field of expertise; CSP, SMS, PE, or similar certification highly desirable.
- Need an understanding of Product Safety concepts and techniques, and possess the ability to troubleshoot and identify the root cause of issues.
- Understanding of Automated Guided Vehicles, Robotics or Mechatronics a plus.
- Must have experience applying safety principles and addressing robotics safety issues in a manufacturing, warehouse or other operations focused environment.
- Must have strong Project Management skills and communicate proactively with customers.
- Must have highly effective verbal and written communications plus senior level presentation and negotiation skills.
- A solid understanding of the relevant local, state and federal regulations and how they apply to specific industries is expected.
- Travel throughout the Bay Area to work with a variety of clients is expected.
- Good team player, especially during challenging situations.
- Be a go-getter that can manage multiple projects and priorities.
- Be able to delegate and utilize junior staff effectively.
- Be ethical, responsive, and positive.
- Ability to deal with ambiguity from clients, regulators, and other stakeholders.